What's on this Autumn/Winter
We recommend booking tickets online in advance of your journey to secure your preferred journey times. Walk up tickets are available on the day. Please ask at the pier houses.
- The fresh air and iconic winter mountain views are FREE for every passenger to enjoy so get the cameras at the ready and bring the bird book !
- Every cruise ticket purchase helps to look after our heritage boats
- The four piers link to spectacular walking routes connecting you to each destination point around the Ullswater Way
- We offer winter value 'round the lake' fares on the Green timetable operating from 29th October to 31st January 2024.
- Scan the QR codes around the Ullswater Way and explore the virtual art gallery here
The important bits :
- If you are departing from Glenridding Pier please use the contactless card/cash machine to purchase your car parking tickets. The machine is situated in the main car park by the pier house entrance.
- If you are departing from Pooley Bridge Pier. Please visit our website for parking information in Pooley Bridge village. Ten minutes walk to the pier from the village.
- Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your departure time ( includes per purchased online ticket holders). A member of staff will be available to direct you to your departure point.
- Glenridding pier house is open all year bar Christmas eve & day. Facilities include toilets, accessible toilet, licensed catering offering for takeaway snacks and drinks, gift shop for that ‘must have’ souvenir.
- We have 1 x double 11kW EV charger at Glenridding located by the picnic area. Charges apply for parking and charging. Please download the Monta App in advance of your visit and follow the instructions to charge your vehicle. Please note that Ullswater 'Steamers' do not manage the app services. Please contact Monta directly via the app if you have any queries or issues.
- Pooley Bridge pier house is open in main season from March daily until the end of October.
- There are toilets and bars on board all of our boats.
- Please observe any site information signage on arrival.
- Please do not travel if you feel unwell.
- If you have a bike or paddleboard – please note there is a £4 per journey surcharge. Please pay on arrival at Glenridding or Pooley Bridge where you will be advised if there is room on board to carry these items. We cannot guarantee travel. SUPs must be deflated prior to boarding.
- If you need to bring a wheelchair, please call us on 017684 82229 to book in advance and we can advise the most suitable vessel for you to travel.
- Due to the heritage nature of our vessels and the waterside location, we regret that our attraction is not suitable for motorised wheelchairs or mobility scooters. We have wheelchairs available for use and can reserve these for visitors.
Thank you for booking a day out on Ullswater ‘Steamers’.
We wish you a very pleasant journey with us.
- Can I book a ticket? Yes. Tickets can be purchased on the day at our pier houses or booked in advance online. Customers may wish to book tickets online in advance to secure their preferred sailing times. You can pre-book tickets online up to 12 hours before your preferred travel time.
- What happens if I feel unwell before I visit? Please stay at home and email us to re-schedule your visit.
- What happens if I turn up and I do not have a pre-booked ticket? We have tickets on sale in our pier houses, subject to availability.
- Can I get on the boat at Howtown? Yes, you can board & disembark at Howtown and tickets are available to book online. If you are combining a single cruise with the walk from Glenridding or Pooley Bridge to Howtown then we recommend you take the cruise part of your journey first and walk back.
- What happens if I miss my cruise departure time? Please do not be late for your sailing because we probably will not be able to transfer you onto a later trip that day. Please arrive at least 30 minutes before your departure time ( includes pre-booked tickets holders).
- What happens if you cancel sailings? If we cancel sailings on the day that you are booked to visit us, we will automatically refund you through our online booking system. Your payment will be credited back to your original payment card within 5 working days.
- How long is the cruise? Our cruises from Glenridding to Pooley Bridge (or vice versa) take approximately one hour. The cruise time from Glenridding to Aira Force (or vice versa) is approximately 20 minutes. Cruise time from Glenridding to Howtown is approximately 35 minutes and from Pooley Bridge to Howtown is approximately 25 minutes.
- Where can I park? There are car parks at Glenridding Pier and LDNP parking in the village. There are four car parks at the Pooley Bridge end of the lake. Please note the pier is a ten-minute walk from Pooley Bridge car parks.
- Do you have EV charge points ? We have 1 x double 11kW EV charger on site located by the picnic area. Charges apply. Please Monta Appthe Monta app in advance of your visit and follow the instructions to charge your vehicle. Please note that Ullswater 'Steamers' do not manage the app services. Please contact Monta directly via the app if you have any queries or issues.
- Can I travel in a wheelchair? We have limited capacity for wheelchairs, please call us on 017684 82229 to book a place on board and discuss your requirements. Due to the heritage nature of our vessels and the waterside location, we regret that our attraction is not suitable for motorised wheelchairs or mobility scooters. We have wheelchairs available for use and can reserve these for visitors.
- Can I bring a dog? Dogs are allowed on board, please purchase a ticket online for £1.
- Can I bring a bike? Yes, if we have space. We have limited space onboard for bikes due to the heritage nature of our vessels, so we cannot guarantee travel on the day. Bikes accepted onboard are charged at £3, these tickets are not available to purchase online and spaces are limited. Bike racks are available at Pooley Bridge and Glenridding pier houses.
- Can I bring a paddleboard (SUP)? Yes if we have space. We have limited space onboard for SUP due to the heritage nature of our vessels, so we cannot guarantee travel on the day. SUP charge is £4, these tickets are not available to purchase online. We ask that paddleboards are deflated before travelling on the boat.
- Are the toilets open in the pier houses? Glenridding pier house is open throughout the year. Pooley Bridge pier house is open in the main season mid March - early November.
- Are the toilets and saloons open on board? Yes, toilets and saloons are open on board all boats.
- Can I bring a picnic with me? Yes, for consumption in outdoor picnic areas and onboard the boats.
- Am I allowed alcohol on board? Our licensed bars on board are open. If you appear to be intoxicated, we reserve the right to refuse entry and no refunds will be given.
- Can I buy food and drink at the pier houses ? Yes, we have a selection of light refreshments and hot/cold drinks available. Glenridding pier house is open throughout the year. Pooley Bridge pier house is open in the main season.
- I have a Prosecco and Cruise gift voucher or a monetary gift voucher how can I book a ticket online? We ask you to email us with your voucher details and we can book you on a cruise.
- Do I have to book Aira Force car parking? No, you do not; their main car park has spaces on a first-come, first-served basis. It is managed by the National Trust.
- What numbers can I book for a wedding charter? We can accommodate wedding charters up to the maximum capacity for the boat. Please ask us for further information or to arrange a show around.
- Can I buy a season ticket? We are suspending season ticket sales until further notice.
- Can I use my complimentary voucher? Please contact us with details of your voucher so we can arrange tickets for you subject to availability.
- Can I use an accommodation 10% privilege voucher? We will be issuing vouchers for 2024 season.
- Can I book tickets through Viator, Get Your Guide and other third-party sellers? Not at this time. Please book tickets direct through our website.
- Can I buy a bus and boat ticket? Yes the Bus & Boat ticket are available to purchase onboard Stagecoach buses. You can find out more details here Bus and Boat Tickets
- Is there an Ullswater ferry? Ullswater 'Steamers' fulfil the function of ferrying passengers across the lake as well as providing scenic pleasure cruises. Please see our timetable for details.
- Can I fly a drone on the pier or from the boat? We do not grant permission for private flying from our piers and boats for the following reasons:
- Our visitors value the peace and tranquillity of Ullswater. The presence of drones can impinge on the quiet enjoyment of the cruises by other visitors and therefore potentially presents a public nuisance risk.
- Wildlife and agricultural animals are sensitive to disturbance, such as birds and deer herds, which could be alarmed or stressed by the presence of drones, especially at breeding times.
- The valley is classified as a CAA low-flying zone for RAF training aircraft.
- Most drones have cameras attached for their use which contravenes privacy and rules stating that drones must not be flown within 150 metres of any congested area.
- If a drone causes damage or harm, pilots who are members of the public rarely have the correct insurances, or level of insurances, to adequately compensate those affected.